Tuesday, September 29, 2015

WORK in Progress Wednesday

This weekend I decided that if I'm able to sew on Sundays, it's going to be a play day.  Meaning, I'm just going to play around with whatever strikes my fancy.  So I pulled some fabrics in colors that I rarely use and started to play with them. I wanted to try something low volume with pops of color, so I pulled some great fat quarters that I got at Quiltcon 2015 out, and then some aqua/green fabrics that I had gotten recently in  a basics bundle.  I even got an idea pretty fast for it, so I thought - hey, I'm gonna get this top finished this afternoon.  
It seemed like it was going to be so easy looking at the sketch, but SURPRISE! It wasn't.  Some of it is my fault, as I wanted the sewn pluses to be 2 1/2 inches wide sewn.  Why, you might ask?  Well, because 2 inches was too skinny and 3 was too fat.  I usually sketch any straight line designs I have on graph paper, but of course it's kinda hard to sketch 2 1/2 inches on graph paper, so I was sort of guessing on all the dimensions.  This of course led to problems later on because I was kind of guessing at the square dimensions and naturally I got it wrong.  
So like I said, it took me all day to figure out how to sew the thing together.  I knew I was going to have to sew some open pieces and leave quarter inch openings to get the overlapping bits connected but at first I didn't see the squares - I was too caught up in the design.  

Plus I kept screwing up. I literally had to pull out stitches after everything I sewed!  I got pretty frustrated, but darn it, I wanted to finish the thing.  But I had another problem.  It seemed like even though everything worked on the design wall, things weren't coming together evenly.  After some panic because I was out of some of the fabrics and couldn't cut anymore, I finally figured out that I had made the center squares half an inch too small and the low volume pluses were too long.  Okay, now it's after nine o'clock and I'm having to go to bed because I'm super tired. 
Monday I was absolutely determined to FINISH this top.  Surely it would only take the morning to sew this baby together, right?  Nope.  It took all day.  I finally finished at seven o'clock.  But hey - it's done and I actually like it a lot. 

The only thing is,  i wouldn't exactly call it 'play." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment