Monday, February 9, 2015

Twisted Ribbon Rainbow Tutorial Part 3: The Finish

Here are the final instructions for the Twisted Ribbon Rainbow.  

At this point, you should have a square top.  All you have to do is add the white half-frame and the two outer rows for the side and bottom.  

Step 1:

Starch and iron the quilt top.  Since you've been sewing squares, it should be pretty square once you get it sewn together.  Measure along the side and cut one of the 2 1/2 inch strips to the same length and sew to side.

Step 2:

Measure along the bottom of the quilt, cut the second 2 1/2 inch strip to match and sew to the bottom.  You now have your half-frame and need to add the final rows. 

Step 3:

The following directions are for the two SIDE strips, going vertically along the edge of the quilt.  You will sew them vertically, meaning one under the other.  

Row 20 (Vertically) Remember, the boldface means it is a square.

DPP,DR,LR,DR,DY, LPI,DPI,LPI,LB, DG,LG,DG,DO, DPP,LPP,DPP,DR,DY,LY,DY

Row 21 (Vertically) 

LP,DR,LY,LY,LY,LPI,DB,DB,DB,DG,LO,LO,LO,DPP,LR,LR,LR,DY,DPI,DPI

Step 4:

These directions are for the final two rows, running horizontally along the bottom.

Row 20 (Horizontally):

DPP,LPP,LR,LY,DY,LY,DPI,DB,LB,DB,LG,LO,DO,LO,LPP,LR,DR,LR,LY,DPI,LPI,DPI

Row 21 (Horizontally)

DR,DR,DR,LY,LPI,LPI,LPI,LB,DG,DG,DG,LO,DPP,DPP,DPP,LR,DY,DY,DY,DPI,LB,DB

Hooray!  You've now completed your quilt top.  You can sandwich and quilt as desired.  

I thought a lot about quilting.  There's a lot going on in this piece, so I just wanted the quilting to enhance the movement of the "twists" on the ribbons.  On the vertical twists, I made vertical lines, on the horizontal twists, I did slanted lines and I just quilted about a quarter inch around the squares.  I did stitch in the ditch on the white because I wanted the "ribbon" parts to stand out, but I did not do any other quiting on the white, except for the white half-frame, which I did in a triangular echo pattern.   Hopefully you can see the quilting on the picture below.  




Please share your finished quilts, especially if you used different materials and/or quilting.  And please let me know if you found any of my directions confusing - I really tried to be as clear as possible but there's always room for improvement.  

Thanks for following along.  Namaste to all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment