Monday, March 14, 2016

Trying to Keep Up the Good Work

First, I apologize to my readers.  I know I haven't been around - just haven't had time to post lately for many reasons - travel, bronchitis, and other projects have kept me busy.  I haven't had a ton of time to create, either, which we all know is not a zen-making thing (at least not for me - of course it SHOULD be a chance to practice, but we all know I'm zen-challenged.  That's the point.) Anyway, I sincerely hope you will forgive me and continue to read when I do post.  I will try to do better.

One of the reasons I haven't been able to post is that I went to Quiltcon in Pasadena.  As usual, I was really inspired and excited by what I saw.  I know others have posted a lot about it, but I will write a post about my impressions and share some of my faves with you soon.  I met some great fellow quilters, which was also fun.  

That's not to say I haven't sewn at all.  I did manage to make some minis from scraps from another project, kind of inspired by the amazing and adorable Gwen Marsden and the talented Chawne Kimber from Completely Cauchy.  I've never been one for patchwork, but I adore theirs.  










 Haven't quite gotten it down yet but am so inspired that I will keep trying.  I like them, though.  They are bright, cheerful, and fun AND they used up all the scraps from another project, which makes me feel all earth-friendly and superior.  (maybe that's an exaggeration - but it does make me feel better about scraps - I usually consider them guilt-producing nuisances.)  Now I have a whole new respect (use)  for them, after seeing Gwen's and and Chawne's work.  

I've spent a great deal of time on another project, too - and darn it, it's huge.  I say that because as we all know, large quilt tops mean a helluva a lot of quilting.  I like to quilt, really I do, but the large pieces are so goddam never ending.  Still, I'm pretty happy with the piece.  It needs a little tweaking, still, but I'm almost there.



This week, however, there will sadly be no quilting.  Not because I am decreeing it, but because I will be out of town.  Again.  I'm actually tempted to bring my small sewing machine to the hotel with me - think the maids will mind cleaning up scraps and strings?  I wonder if I'll actually have time to use it...well, I can bring it with me and if I do have time/energy to work, then I can.  (Lord are we quilters NUTS or what?)  I know I'm bringing some embroidery projects with me at least.  

I'm also a little miffed to leave at this time because finally the poppies I planted in the fall are starting to bloom and dammit I want to be here to enjoy them.  I sure hope they are still going when I get back.  They are so beautiful - I want to sit on my front porch and stare at them with a glass of wine in my hand.  (I will be here on Saturday, come and join me if you want...)




So please stick with me, readers, as I muddle through this incredibly busy time in my life.  I promise to post more regularly again soon.  And here's a couple of lovely parting shots of Spring, springing, for your enjoyment.

Luckily I won't miss the bluebonnets because the goats got in and ate them a couple of weeks ago, so they will be blooming late.  Never thought I'd be happy for that!





View from the porch: Ahhh - green, green, everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment