Wednesday, April 1, 2015

I'm working on it...WIP Wednesday

The fabric arrived Monday so I was able to complete the piece I've been working on - I'm calling it Criss Cross (for sadly obvious reason). 

 I'm not sure how much I love it.  I mean - I like it, but I'm not in love yet - I think it still needs something...but what?

I tried putting some items in the middle to see if they added the missing element - some small colored square,

 some x's..

but they weren't right.  I thought about slashing through the white with some pops of color, but that is wrong for the feel of the piece and it doesn't need any more thin lines - and no circles, more's the pity for this circle fiend...I'm not usually a fan of borders, but I'm seriously considering a border for this one.  I have an idea, but I'm not sure I have enough of the necessary fabric for it.  

One thing I'm kind of jazzed about and want to share is how I did the corners.  I wish I had taken pictures of it, because it was actually kind of silly, but by golly, it worked.  If you'll recall, I laid it out on the diagonal, and sewed it that way.  So I ended up with all these squares of fabric sticking out, and it was pretty shape-less.  I got out the old duct tape (cause I was out of the blue masking tape) and just taped a square around the piece where I wanted the edges to be.  Then I boldly drew around it with a pencil (there were some empty spots where the corners were of course) and I literally hacked off the extra, outside the duct tape - Crazy?  Yes!

But here's the part I really like:  the extra parts just happened to be rough triangles, so - yep, you guessed it - I used them for the corners that were missing!  I just sewed and flipped. And it worked!  Then I taped the thing to the floor and tried to mark it again, but I realized I was just going to have to use the rotary cutter and try to square it up.  And by darned - that worked, too!  It's kind of thrown up on the wall so it looks wonky, but it's actually, shockingly, STRAIGHT.  I was thrilled that I didn't have to use any more of the precious Crosshatch fabric (of which I've already used three yards and which I need for my son's college bound quilt) for the corners.  And I liked that it worked - made me kinda happy that doing such a nutty thing actually worked.   

So "Bully for me!"  on this crazy improv.  I'm just cutting and sewing and its coming together. However, it is kind of bias-y, so I have to be careful if I do add borders, but what the heck - I'm feeling lucky, so I'm just gonna continue to fly along and see what happens.  

Tally Ho! (oops, mixed those darn metaphors again - sorry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment