Friday, October 23, 2015

Amy's Quilt Festival - Art Quit Entry

It's time for the fall edition of the Blogger's Quilt Festival, the brainchild of Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side.  This is a really fun event, mainly because I always find new blogs to follow. (As if I needed more blogs to read, but hey, I get inspired by them, and I feel like some  true friendships arise from blogs, not to mention my learning a lot from them, too...on second thought, maybe I DO need more blogs to read!) and I love to see other people's work, especially from the comfort of my own computer.

I'm entering Tree in the art quilt category.  



This piece was a real labor of love.  I am a tree hugger, you see.  I love them and even think they are sacred in a way, so for years even though I've wanted to make a tree piece, I never felt like I had a good enough idea, something that would capture that ancient beauty and wisdom that trees represent for me.  I couldn't get a picture in my mind of what I wanted it to be.  I can't remember exactly how it came to me, but once it did, I was super excited about it.  I won't say it wasn't a challenge, but I took my time and enjoyed (pretty much)  every moment of it.  And I think the result speaks for itself. 

 Tree is appli-pieced ( a kind of reverse appliqué) using mostly aboriginal fabrics. The background is sewn together, and the tree was inset into the background (perhaps this was one of the moments that was er-challenging?).  I kept the quilting to a minimum as I really wanted the tree to stand out.  

Can't wait to see all the great pieces and make new bloggy friends.  













No comments:

Post a Comment