Thursday, November 5, 2015

Summer Lovin' - Throwback Thursday

Today is Throwback Thursday over at A Quarter Inch from the Edge.  I think this is a fun way to look back at how far we've come as quilters, and enjoy old piece that we haven't looked at or thought about in a while.  

I'm going to share my Lovin' Summer Flip Flop quilt.  


This quilt makes me grin for several reasons. One, it is supposed to be a summer quilt and for some reason I chose to back it with black instead of white or a sandy color.  Two because of the way this piece came about.

A few years ago,my mother made one of these quilts.  I thought it was cute.  So did my sister.  As soon as it was finished, she (my sister) took it.  Mother let her have it, and then she was mad that she had given it away.  So her friends all made cute flip flop blocks for her and all she had to do was sew them together.  I saw her doing this the day before Mother's Day. The next day, when my husband and son asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day I told them all I wanted to do was sew.  So I went over to my mom's house and we sewed all day together - and this was the result.  I mean, I got the entire thing done in one day - talk about satisfying.  

It was a fantastic Mother's Day, spent with my excellent mom.  I can look at it and see things I would do differently now - of course, now I probably wouldn't sew the thing at all.  But this piece will always be special to me, because my mom is gone now, and I will never get to sew with her again on any day.  But as with many pieces, I can look at this and smile and think of Mother and how much fun we had together - not just that day, but many days, and feel lucky that she was my mom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment