Friday, October 31, 2014

Post Script on Disaster Quilt

I don't know if I shared the final product of my almost-disaster quilt. It truly was one of those transformational moments.  I was sure it was just too wonky to save, and I now love it so much I'm entering it in the Blogger's Quilt Fesitval from Amy's Creative Side.

I'm calling it "Earth"  for perhaps obvious reasons:

  

I washed it (per the amazing Weeks Ringle's advice - not to me personally, but she does it and she is, well - amazing!)  and now it is all crinkly and even more earthy and I love it. 



What saved it was, I think, two things - first, trimming the heck out of the incredibly wonky blocks, and two, the sashing.  I'm not normally a sashing kind of girl, but I must admit I like not only that it saved the quilt - I think it adds something, too.

When I started this piece I admit I was a little arrogant because I figured I had done similar techniques and it would not be difficult.  Let me just say how wrong I was - it kicked my butt! But I'm so glad I persevered because these fabrics are so delicious - I think I want more!  

I'm entering this one in the art quilt category.  Even though it is throw or even bed-sized, it's pretty arty, I think.  I would probably hang it up on the wall because I love looking at it, but like I said, it could be a throw or even go on a bed - that's one of the really great things about quilts - they have so many functions!

Thanks Amy for the festival - it's sew fun and inspiring!

                                                          Blogger's Quilt Festival - AmysCreativeSide.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment