Thursday, May 5, 2016

Throwback Thursday - More Experimental Quilting

It's Throwback Thursday over at A Quarter Inch From the Edge!  So fun to see everyone's old work. Today I'm sharing a quilt I made about six or seven years ago (don't rightly remember exactly).  It's another of my experimental pieces - just popped into my head from the universe.  I sketched it and it seemed good...then I had to figure out how to put it together.  (Which is pretty much everything I ever do, I know, I know.)  This one turned out really well, although I think I could do even better if I made it again.  And I might, someday.


With a few changes.  I love the citrus colors and the fabrics, but I wouldn't do the contrasting quilting stitches.  They don't add anything at all.



Also, now I know now how to do a y-seam, so it would be sewn better this time.  I would use a stiffening material to make the corners crisper, too.  

There's a humorous story behind this piece - I actually made it to cover the electric box in the hallway of my house.   But it has these large openings in it - go figure.





Well, at least it sort of camouflages it - I think people notice the wall hanging and not the box, which is more important.  And you can probably tell from the photo that there's not a lot of light in the hallway, either, so it's okay.  But next time I try to use my art to cover something, I think I will design something without holes in it.  (I can't make any promises, however...)











No comments:

Post a Comment