Thursday, September 3, 2015

Throwback Thursday is FUN!

I just discovered Throwback Thursday over at A Quarter Inch From the Edge and I decided it would be fun to join - I so like looking at all the work that people have done...

So my throwback is something I did about five years ago after a trip to Alaska to see my brother and his family.  I was so in love with the glaciers - the incredible blues against the pristine snow.  I wanted to use a bunch of different whites with different textures and then heavily quilt it, but that turned out to be a disaster.  I tried to add shadows with thread and frankly, did not know what I was doing.



It is, I think, the only quilt I have never finished!  Oh well, live and learn.  Painting with thread is at least not for me, something I can just "do."  It requires skills that I must learn from someone who knows what they are doing, apparently.

A little while later, I made a sketch for a piece using grays and color, but after I drew it, it hit me that it would be a perfect glacier quilt, so here is the result, called of course, Glacier.



I love this piece so much, even though I realize it's kind of seasonal, but the blues are so dead-on as far as the glaciers go.  I learned a ton while making this piece, as the white is whole cloth and the glaciers are inserted into it.  And I love the framing, too.  I elected not to quilt the frame because I liked it so much just the way it turned out.

So there is my throwback for this month.  Kind of fun to revisit, huh?  Good idea Jenn!

No comments:

Post a Comment